Sunday 3 March 2019

Bahiyya Khan and after HOURS [An Indie Game About BPD And Abuse]


So, i have been meaning to interview Bahiyya Khan, a Muslim game developer, and Masters drop out ("because everything is the worst"), who tutors at Wits here in Johannesburg, for months now. I have been useless though and by this point she has been interviewed so many times that it is next to impossible to ask her questions that don't amount to flagrant repetition.

That being said though,
fuck it... here we go!

after HOURS is a full-motion video (FMV) game that deals with sexual assault and borderline personality disorder (BPD). I guess we are starting with the motivation question, that is possibly compulsory? 

Bahiyya: I made the game because I felt I had to. 2 things were happening very intensely in my life at the time:

1. There was an increase in the violence against women in South Africa and loads of women that I knew were coming out to me about having being sexually abused

2. I was sick of people not understanding what it's like to live with Borderline Personally Disorder and then demonising us based on misinformation and stereotypes.

So I decided to tell a story on issues that deserve to be spoken about and not hidden away in the awful shame that is foisted upon women.

When did you finish after HOURS, who was on your development team, and where can people find it?

Bahiyya: after HOURS finished about a month ago. It all feels so hazy thinking about it now.. The team consisted of me as game designer, narrative designer, writer, director and actress. Claire Meekel as cinematographer, animator and director. Tim Flusk as programmer and Abi Meekel on sound. It's currently up on Humble Bundle but will be up on other game platforms probably in a month or 2 or 20 since I don't function so good.

If you had to gamble on a next possible hair colour what do you think future you would pick?

Bahiyya: Definitely Gerard Way's Danger Days red hair.

Favorite video games and why?

Bahiyya: I don't really play games so of the 2.7 that I have played, Butterfly Soup is my favourite. I think it's funny and moving and well written.

Is there a film you like that you would love to turn into an FMV, If you could like magic it into being?

Bahiyya: Probably Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging.

What sparked your love for writing?

Bahiyya: My sister taught me to read and write when I was 5 and I adored reading and I suppose I wanted to write my own stuff? I don't know, I can't remember. I started listening to Simple Plan when I was 9 and then started writing my own songs so I guess...I don't know what I'm trying to say. I just always wrote.

You have had the opportunity to travel a bunch recently to do talks and promotion for the game. I died a little inside when I watched a Whatsapp video of you up front and singing along to Chumped at a Joyce Manor show. Drop us some bands and show stories... End me!

Bahiyya: Hahaha fuck wow, I got to see some dope bands last year. I also got fucked up. I literally thought I was gonna die at Joyce Manor. I went to their show in Boston and the crowd was just mental. I got killed. I literally did. I'm typing this from the grave. My ribs felt like they were being crushed. I had to ask security to take me out of that hell pit. I'm very cool, obviously. Oh yeah I also saw Basement last year and got a mild concussion although I only went to that show to see Joyce Manor open for them so I left soon after. Oh! And I got to speak to Barry, Joyce Manor's frontman and got their setlist which was wonderful.

My standout gigs were seeing The Front Bottoms and You Me At Six. I cried so much at both shows. Seeing TFB was the highlight of my life until I saw YMAS then I had several highlights in my life. Sorry this answer is so long I just love all my bands so much. YMAS is my absolute favourite band ever and I followed them around the UK for a bit for their Take Off Your Colours anniversary tour. I got so fucking excited at the first show that I became that annoying fucker in the pit. Disgraceful times and all that.

Ever wanted to start a band?

Bahiyya: Hourly.

In your opinion is punk a sound or a state of mind?

Bahiyya: Both. I mean superficially it's an aesthetic thing and also a kind of genre (?) but I think real punk as fuck things are whatever goes against systemic oppression. For example, being kind in a world that prefers you didn't

Questions by Shaun Richards

Below is an audio interview Bahiyya did with Polygamer.


^ Polygamer #83: Bahiyya Khan of after HOURS by Ken Gagne


"Bahiyya Khan is the developer of after HOURS, a full-motion video (FMV) game about sexual assault and borderline personality disorder (BPD). Presented as an interactive film, after HOURS has received critical acclaim and awards at game conferences around the globe for its innovative storytelling and willingness to tackle difficult subjects."

No comments:

Post a Comment