Wednesday 10 July 2019

Depressive Repulsive by Hated Related


"Ever since their ‘Caffiene Diet’ EP in 2016, I’ve had a soft spot in my heart for Durban’s Brit-indie inspired garage punk band, Hated Related. You see, I really fucking enjoy bands like The Cribs and The Libertines and it was very clear that so did Hated Related. With their latest EP, ‘Depressive Repulsive’, that’s still apparent, but with Ali Heath (HOURS, City Bowl Mizers) now joining Barron Harley and Andrew Groenewald, Hated Related have a distinctly 90’s Dischord Records influence to their sound.

Depressive Repulsive’ sounds like an amalgamation of 90’s emo/post hardcore and early 2000s British Indie, which are 2 of my favourite eras in rock music, so, naturally, I’m a fan."
- Bob Perfect

Depressive Repulsive was released April 16, 2019 and is now up on the We Did This Records Bandcamp page. Stay tuned for a interview with Barron Harley following this paragraph!

Tell us about the sound change on the new album and if there is a story behind the band name.

Barron: I think the sound on the new album was pretty unintentional, some of the songs were ones I'd been working on while I was in the UK, so when I got back I was super excited to get them recorded. Ali had just joined the band and I think he brought a lot of fresh energy to the whole deal. A big part of the sound I'd say comes from Andy's production, which I'm a big fan of.

As far as the name goes, our friend Lyle Greer came up with it one night at the house and I was just like "Hey! I like that". I still do.

When did the band start and how are things with the Durban scene lately?

Barron: Andy (Groenewald) and I have been playing music together since I was fourteen, but we really got going with Hated Related in around 2016. That was when my friend Clint was still playing bass for us. We started playing music together again when I moved back from the UK in 2018, that's when Ali took over on bass.

Durban's awesome. We don't have a lot of venues for alternative music but there's places popping up all the time, and the ones we do have are amazing. The scenes always changing and expanding and I think that's really cool.

I love the addition of the acoustic track at the end. What was the motivation behind that?

Barron: We almost didn't add that! It was just a little tune I had just finished as we were wrapping up recording the EP, so I showed it to Andy and we just recorded it live in the bandroom, Andy played the lead parts on there.

Outside of Hated Related how goes the "8 - 5 peasant endurance race"?

Barron: Things are good! I think we all agree that the more fun band stuff that we do, the more we want to do, and the harder the 9-5's get. But ultimately we're stoked to be able to work and still get to jam and have fun fairly often. Still though, work sucks!

Questions by: Shaun

No comments:

Post a Comment